3.31.2006

Illustration Friday: Spring

Meet Casey. Growing up, Casey didn't think very much of the food on his plate. To inspire him to eat, his parents made up stories of choochoo trains and aeroplanes. Casey fell in love with the stories. He loved imagining where each part of his meal came from, where it had been, and how it found him.

Spring was his favorite season. All the food closest to the earth had the best stories to tell.



Casey was painted in watercolor and ink on
2.75"x3.75" amalfi cotton rag paper.

Previous Illustration Friday entries ::
monster : tattoo [one page tale painted gocco print] : tattoo : insect : tea : song : simple : chair : glamour [color gocco print] : glamour : cats : e is for : sea : flavor : holiday : imagine

18 comments:

jas faulkner said...

That is awesome! As both a picture and an illustration it has to be one of the strongest pieces I've seen this morning.

Abbie said...

I love the image and story! How marvelous! Having a 10 month old crawling around I am eagerly looking forward to her randomly tasting the world!
Abbie :)

Anonymous said...

You're scaring me! My 4 month old is just now eating solids. I can just imagine him now going and eating dirt :)

AscenderRisesAbove said...

hilarious!! brings back that childhood rhyme: "let em go eat worms"

steve said...

Well, it is protein...

Just please don't eat the pixies !
:-D

stevePoisonPencil

valerie walsh said...

On my walk the other day there was a little boy in the woodhood who had dirt all around his mouth, he gave me a big dirty smile! This reminds me of that little boy! This is darling, i love it!

Sean Hennessey said...

"hey ma! earthworm!"

Anonymous said...

beautiful, love colours! and very funny

juliemc said...

love this...do you think the snail will be dessert?

Kim de Young said...

ah ha ha ha !!!

does that mean Casey is a carnivore?

carla said...

Casey sure knows how to live off the land! I really enjoy your slant on these topics - humorous and wacky, and always so beautifully illustrated.

Anonymous said...

I love Casey... can't say the same about the food ;)

georg said...

Thanks for the story and image - good idea to tell about the food - my little son did the same as Carey, when he was about 3 years, he ate half a big, black snail - he thought, that were liquorice..
I think, Carey is a nice boy.

Luisa said...

ja! a taste for the spring worms, very nice!

Heartful said...

Great character, great story.

Unknown said...

:o not wormssss!


:) cute story .. great illo!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Nice one, Shoofly! Great work as always.

joona said...

ooOOO! I love it! =)